25.8 C
Abuja
Friday, December 4, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

WHO now says it first heard of Covid-19 on the internet, not from China

The World Health Organisation (WHO) changed its coronavirus timeline to say it first heard about the coronavirus from a press release online, rather than a report from Chinese authorities according to Business Insider.

In the revision, published June 30, the WHO said that on December 31, 2019, “WHO’s Country Office in the People’s Republic of China picked up a media statement by the Wuhan Municipal Health Commission from their website on cases of ‘viral pneumonia’ in Wuhan, People’s Republic of China.”

That same day, the WHO’s open-source intelligence platform also picked up a Chinese-language news report from Finance Sina, a Chinese outlet, about the same cluster of cases in Wuhan, attributed to a “pneumonia of unknown cause,” the agency said.

The WHO requested further information about the reports from China the next day – on January 1, 2020 – but only got a response two days later, on January 3.

In a previous chronology, published in April, the WHO had said that it found out about the cases from the Wuhan municipal health commission, without specifying where or how it was notified, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The revised chronology now shows that the WHO’s China office, not Chinese authorities, had raised the first alert.

According to AFP, WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan told reporters on Friday that countries have 24 to 48 hours to verify an event and tell the WHO about it, and that Chinese authorities had immediately contacted the WHO as soon as the agency asked about the reports.

China has been accused of covering up the coronavirus in its early days, suppressing key information to its citizens and the WHO.

The Associated Press (AP) reported last month that China delayed the release of critical information about the outbreak to the public and the WHO for several days, and waited more than a week to release the virus’ genome – actions that likely delayed the development of vaccines, drugs, and diagnostic tests.

The AP also reported in April that top Chinese leaders had known for six days in January that the coronavirus could become a deadly pandemic, but told the world the virus posed a low risk to people and could not be transmitted between humans.

At the same time, the WHO, which relies on countries to provide their own data, took China at its word and offered the same advice – which has since proven to be wrong.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China????. pic.twitter.com/Fnl5P877VG

— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) January 14, 2020

China has long denied accusations of a coverup, saying it released information and genome sequences as early as possible.

The WHO has also been accused of helping China cover up the outbreak in its early days.

US President Donald Trump, who repeatedly highlighted the allegations, has since withdrawn $400 million of US funding into the WHO and threatened to sever ties to the agency.

China, meanwhile, has pledged billions of dollars in additional funds into the agency. Experts previously told Business Insider that Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu, the WHO’s director-general, was “deeply compromised.”

The health agency has repeatedly denied the accusations.

The WHO announced last week that it would send a team to China to investigate how the coronavirus started, but did not give details on the makeup of the team or what exactly it plans to find.

Conducting independent research in China is notoriously difficult, especially if it could embarrass the ruling Communist Party. Teams probing Chinese human-rights accusations have previously found themselves on heavily choreographed and chaperoned tours, and forbidden to carry out investigations.

The WHO did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for further comment on the timeline and the upcoming investigation.

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Hundreds of Ethiopian immigrants get warm welcome in Israel

Hundreds of Ethiopian immigrants on Thursday arrived to a festive ceremony at Israel’s international airport, as the government took a step toward carrying out...

Tigray leader to Ethiopia’s PM; stop the madness

The fugitive leader of Ethiopia’s defiant Tigray region on Monday called on Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to “stop the madness” and withdraw troops from...

Explosions hit 3 Malian cities amid jihadist attacks

The cities of Kidal, Gao and Menaka in northern Mali were hit by simultaneous attacks on Monday against military camps housing international forces, according...

Ethiopia: Leader of Tigray forces says fighting continues near Mekelle

The leader of Ethiopia’s rebellious northern forces has said he is still fighting close to the regional capital of Mekelle after it was captured...

Don't Miss

Hundreds of Ethiopian immigrants get warm welcome in Israel

Hundreds of Ethiopian immigrants on Thursday arrived to a festive ceremony at Israel’s international airport, as the government took a step toward carrying out...

Tigray leader to Ethiopia’s PM; stop the madness

The fugitive leader of Ethiopia’s defiant Tigray region on Monday called on Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed to “stop the madness” and withdraw troops from...

Explosions hit 3 Malian cities amid jihadist attacks

The cities of Kidal, Gao and Menaka in northern Mali were hit by simultaneous attacks on Monday against military camps housing international forces, according...

Ethiopia: Leader of Tigray forces says fighting continues near Mekelle

The leader of Ethiopia’s rebellious northern forces has said he is still fighting close to the regional capital of Mekelle after it was captured...

Suicide bomber kills at least 7 at Mogadishu ice-cream shop

A suicide bomber blew himself up in an ice-cream parlour in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Friday, killing seven people and wounding eight, an...

Burkina Faso main opposition leader concedes defeat in election

Burkina Faso’s main opposition leader has conceded defeat in Sunday’s presidential election after initial results showed a comfortable victory for President Roch Kabore, ending...

Ethiopian PM again rejects Tigray conflict talks at AU meeting

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed again ruled out dialogue with the leaders of the defiant Tigray region Friday but said he was willing to...

German warship intercepts and searches Libya-bound Turkish freighter

Associated PressTurkey and Germany were at loggerheads on Monday after a German frigate enforcing an arms embargo against Libya intercepted a Turkish freighter in...

FIFA bans CAF president Ahmad Ahmad for 5 years

The head of Confederation of African football (CAF) Ahmad Ahmad has been suspended by FIFA for five years for corruption, the global governing body...

UN urges civilian protection after Ethiopia PM’s 72-hour ultimatum for Tigrayan forces

ReutersThe United Nations urged Ethiopia on Monday to ensure the protection of civilians, a day after Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed gave Tigrayan forces 72...
%d bloggers like this: