UN condemns attack on peacekeeping mission in Mali

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday condemned attacks against the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) that killed three peacekeepers.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, the UN chief said that Thursday’s attacks targeting UN peacekeepers in the city of Kidal “may constitute war crimes” and called for the perpetrators to be swiftly brought to justice.

Guterres reiterated UN’s support to help implement a peace agreement in the West African country and also expressed his condolences to the families of the peacekeepers killed and a speedy recovery of those injured.

According to MINUSMA, its camp in Kidal was hit Thursday by intensive rocket and mortar fire. Initial information indicated that about a dozen shells of different calibres targeted the camp.

Shortly thereafter, peacekeepers situated outside the camp also came under attack. The statement also said eight peacekeepers had been wounded.

The UN mission in Mali is the deadliest active peacekeeping mission in the world.

The attacks came days after France circulated a UN Security Council resolution that would authorize military action by five countries in Africa’s vast Sahel region against extremist groups.

Leave a Reply

africanquarters