22.8 C
Abuja
Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Two deaths in Guinea as massive anti-Conde mobilization begins

Two protesters have been shot dead by security forces in Guinea, on the first day of open-ended protests against President Alpha Condé’s plan to amend the constitution so he can serve a third term.

The protest, which have been severely repressed, had already caused the death of at least twenty civilians and a gendarme since mid-October.

The National Front for the Defense of the Constitution ( FNDC ), the collective of parties, unions and members of civil society which is leading the protest, called from Monday onwards for a massive and unlimited mobilization.

A 21-year-old senior student, Elhadj Mamadou Sow, was killed by a bullet fired by a law enforcement officer chasing young people in the Coza district of Conakry, revealed his uncle, a second youth was killed in the northern city of Labe.

Two deaths in Guinea as massive anti-Conde mobilization begins
Deserted street in Conakry Guinea, analysts are not sure how long people will adhere to the order.

Conakry was largely deserted on Monday, with businesses, schools and markets staying closed but correspondents say it is unclear how long the population will be willing to heed calls to shut down the city.

“The call for resistance launched by the FNDC is widely followed in several cities in Guinea.

This materialized by a total paralysis of the main road axes, the closing of shops and businesses, the total or partial cessation of activities or their slowing down depending on the location, ”said the FNDC in a press release.

This beginning of mobilization “is a success”. The FNDC reported clashes in Conakry, Boffa and Zérékoré, and four arrests in the capital.

The government had cited the disturbance of public order and the absence of a permit to demonstrate to severely suppress the first rallies from October.

He then authorized the demonstrations under conditions, without the violence ceasing completely.

Since mid-October, the FNDC has repeatedly taken tens or hundreds of thousands of Guineans to the streets in this small country of 13 million inhabitants.

The opposition is convinced that the head of state, elected in 2010 and re-elected in 2015, intends to stand for re-election in late 2020, while the Constitution limits the number of presidential terms to two.

Those fears was reinforced in December when Mr. Condé, 81, indicated that he intended to submit to the Guineans a draft of a new Constitution, even if he did not expressly declare his personal intentions.

SourceAFP, BBC

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Over a hundred foreign nationals arrested in South Africa following protests

South African police have rounded up more than 100 undocumented foreign nationals in a township north of Johannesburg following days of protests over the...

Ivory Coast’s Soro insists he remains presidential candidate despite warrant

Former Ivory Coast rebel leader Guillaume Soro said on Tuesday he would not drop out of presidential elections despite an arrest warrant out against...

Brexit: UK govt asked to lower salary threshold for migrants to fill job vacancy

Britain should cut a salary threshold for migrants to 25,600 pounds ($33,650) a year to help fill jobs after Brexit, a government commissioned report...

Rwanda deploys drones to destroy malaria-bearing mosquitoes

Rwanda's government has started spraying insecticides in mosquito-breeding sites using drones.The head of the malaria division at Rwanda Biomedical Centre told the BBC that...

Suspected Islamist militants storm market in Burkina Faso killing dozens

Suspected militants have killed dozens of people in the latest attack in Burkina Faso’s restive northern region, where jihadists have been carrying out frequent...

Mali to hire 15 000 teachers to break nationwide strike over pay

Mali began recruiting some 15 000 teachers on Monday, the government said, in order to break a nationwide strike which began last week over...

Africans in China lockdown see no escape, feel trapped

The normally bustling supermarket in Wuhan was deserted, looking more foreign than ever. Khamis Hassan Bakari walked the aisles and saw just two other...

Man drives truck over 18-months-old in Pretoria, South Africa

A South African man has been charged with culpable homicide after he allegedly drove his Ford Ranger truck over an 18-month-old toddler on Monday,...

Amnesty International condemns Ethiopia for mass arrest of Oromo people

Leading rights group Amnesty International says that at least 75 supporters of the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) have been arrested in Ethiopia, as a...

Nigerian international Orji Okonkwo ‘feels lucky’ to play under Thierry Henry

Nigeria youth international Orji Okonkwo feels lucky to return for a second loan spell with Major League Soccer (MLS) side Montreal Impact under manager...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: