31 C
Abuja
Saturday, January 25, 2020

Spanish rescue ship with African migrant allowed into Italy

Italian authorities have agreed to grant the Open Arms ship access to a port to disembark 62 African migrants it has been carrying since Wednesday, the founder of the Spanish rescue mission said on Sunday.

Oscar Camps said the vessel is set to dock at the southern Italian port of Taranto on Tuesday afternoon, although the eventual destination may change.

Italy initially refused entry for the group of 73 African migrants which the Open Arms crew plucked out of a packed rubber dinghy drifting about 50 miles off Libya, suggesting that the vessel should instead put them ashore at Tripoli.

However, earlier today the coastguard evacuated 11 of the group who required medical attention to the port of Augusta and Italy’s Interior Minister Luciana Lamorgese signaled the country might be softening its position.

Conditions aboard the vessels have been deteriorating as a powerful storm hit the Mediterranean, creating waves of up to 3 meters (10 feet).

A Reuters cameraman on the ship saw migrants huddled under a makeshift shelter on deck as the ship rolled through choppy waters and lightning flashed overhead.

Among the group of mostly Central and West Africans are three women, two toddlers and 24 unaccompanied minors who braved the dangerous crossing in search of a better life in Europe.

The Italian government has taken a hard line against immigration and has previously resisted attempts by rescue ships to land migrants in its territory.

A prolonged standoff with the Open Arms this summer was only resolved after a court ordered authorities to open a port, allowing 100 migrants to disembark.

On the Italian island of Lampedusa, the bodies of five women were retrieved early on Sunday after their boat capsized in bad sea conditions on Saturday, Italian Coast Guard said.

Three were found at sea and two more on a beach, a Coast Guard statement said. Searches were continuing but bad weather was complicating the effort.

The Coast Guard saved 149 people on Saturday, including 13 women and three children, from the sinking vessel after it was reported in distress less than a mile off Lampedusa.

Survivors said up to 20 people were unaccounted for, a judicial source said. Those missing at sea were from Algeria, Tunisia and Pakistan.

There have been nearly 1,000 confirmed deaths on the three main migration routes across the Mediterranean so far this year, according to the International Organization for Migration.

“We need decisive action from the Italian government and form Europe to stop human traffickers,” Lampedusa Mayor Salvatore Martello said from Barcelona, where he is meeting his counterpart Ada Colau to discuss the migrant crisis.

SourceReuters

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Rwandan opposition figures jailed for 7-12 years for ‘conspiracy’

Six Rwandan opposition figures have been jailed for seven to 12 years after being convicted of forming an illegal armed group and conspiring against...

Guinea’s Conde poised for referendum date despite protests

Guinea's President Alpha Conde is set to hold a constitutional referendum next month, government sources said, despite protests led by an opposition alliance fearful...

Opposition radio station in Benin rep. sacks all staff after govt revoke license

A radio station in Benin belonging to an exiled opponent of President Patrice Talon has sacked all its staff after authorities stopped it from...

Estranged wife of Zimbabwe VP gains custody of their 3 children

Zimbabwe vice president Constantino Chiwenga's estranged wife, Marry Mubaiwa, gained custody of the couple's three children on Friday last week, as part of an...

Trump set to become 1st US president to attend anti-abortion March for Life

Donald Trump set to attend the March for Life rally Friday, thus becoming first president ever to address in-person America's biggest gathering of anti-abortion...

Isabel dos Santos plans to sue Angolan government

Africa's richest woman,  and daughter of Angola former president, Isabel dos Santos, has denied fraud and may have concluded plans to sue the Angolan...

Nigeria international Victor Moses joins Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea

Victor Moses has signed for Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea, the Serie A club announced on Thursday, reuniting the Nigeria international with former...

Libya’s neighbours decry foreign interference in crisis-hit country

Libya's neighbours on Thursday denounced foreign interference in the conflict-hit North African country, at talks in Algiers to seek a political solution to a...

Tanzania’s Magufuli fires home affairs minister over $453m dodgy contract

Tanzanian President John Magufuli fired his home affairs minister Kangi Lugola on Thursday, accusing him of mismanaging a 408 million euro ($453 million) fire...

Six Malian soldiers killed, more wounded in overnight attack

Six soldiers were killed and several were wounded in an overnight attack in central Mali, the army said Thursday, in fresh violence in the...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: