27 C
Abuja
Monday, February 24, 2020

South Sudan parties fail to agree on power-sharing deal

The South Sudanese warring parties meeting in Khartoum on Wednesday failed to agree to a power-sharing deal.

South Sudan Information Minister Michael Makuei said the government agreed to create five vice president positions, including a first vice president, but opposition members rejected the proposal.

“Some few members from SSOA [South Sudan Opposition Alliance] were saying that it is not what they want. They want to see a very small, lean [government],” said Edmond Yakani, a member of the civil society delegation attending the talks.

Yakani said distrust between the parties made them unwilling to compromise. He also said some delegates are still putting their personal interests first, hoping to be included in the slate of Cabinet positions being discussed.

“You bring for them draft, the first thing they rush [for] is the numbers. What are the numbers, how is the numbers distributed, regardless of whether those numbers can help. This politics of numbers is very strong among political elite of South Sudan,” Yakani said.

Agreement on other issues

Bishop Enock Tombe, who represented the South Sudan Council of Churches at the talks, praised Sudan for pushing the warring parties to agree on other key issues.

“Within a short time they have achieved 2½ agreements; the Khartoum declaration (on the) 27 of June, then the second one is the security arrangement and permanent cease-fire agreement. And now they are really working to finish the remaining work on the governance agreement,” Tombe told South Sudan in Focus.

Several sources at the talks said South Sudan’s parties might still sign a power-sharing agreement, although the talks were slated to end in Khartoum earlier this week.

Entebbe proposal

Information Minister Makuei said the Kiir administration will not sign any agreement that fails to include the Entebbe power-sharing proposal, which increases the number of Cabinet ministers and members of parliament but, the opposition says, ignores the core issues that led to the eruption of war in the country.

“It is clear that it will not be possible for the government of South Sudan to sign such an agreement. Because, if we sign it, this agreement will be worse than even the agreement which we are trying to revitalize now,” Makuei told South Sudan in Focus. He said if the parties do not reach an agreement on power sharing, another summit should be arranged so that remaining issues can be resolved.

The warring parties are expected to continue negotiating in Kenya, but no dates have been announced for another round of talks.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Vote count in Togo as opposition alleges fraud

Togo tallied ballots Sunday after a key challenger insisted he could cause a shock upset despite what he claimed was "fraud" in an election...

Former South African president Jacob Zuma returns after medical trip to Cuba

Former South African president Jacob Zuma touched down at OR Tambo International Airport, following a medical vacation to Cuba for an undisclosed illness.The former...

South Sudan rivals form coalition government

South Sudan opened a new chapter in its fragile emergence from civil war Saturday as rival leaders formed a coalition government that many observers...

Biden attempt to play victim of South African apartheid regime backfires

US Democratic Presidential contender and former vice president, Joe Biden has controversially claimed that he was arrested in South Africa during apartheid, while trying...

120 jihadists killed in a joint operation by French and Nigerien army

A joint operation by Nigerien and French troops in southwest Niger killed 120 "terrorists" and seized bomb-making equipment and vehicles, the country's defence ministry...

Uganda and Rwanda sign extradition treaty

The foreign ministers of Rwanda and Uganda have just signed an extradition treaty at the conclusion of the summit at the common border presided...

Libya’s LNA says ready to battle Turkish forces if talks fail

Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar vowed on Friday to fight Turkish forces if peace talks in Geneva failed, in comments to a Russian news agency.The...

French forces say killed 50 militants in Mali

The French military says it has killed about 50 Islamist militants in Mali. It said one of the dead was a member of the...

Libya’s Haftar ready for ceasefire if Turkish, Syrian mercenaries leave

Libyan National Army (LNA) Commander Khalifa Haftar said he would be ready for a ceasefire if Turkish and Syrian mercenaries left the country and...

Lesotho PM leaves country as murder charges loom

Lesotho's Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has failed to appear in court to face charges of murdering his estranged wife, Lipolelo Thabane in 2017.An aide...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: