35 C
Abuja
Wednesday, February 19, 2020

South Sudan: Kiir, Machar to form government by November 12

South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar have agreed to form a transitional government by the middle of November, the information minister said on Wednesday.

The two men signed a pact a year ago to end a civil war that has killed hundreds of thousands of people, displaced a third of the population and wrecked the economy. Machar made a rare visit to Juba this week to meet Kiir.

“The parties discussed minor issues and the principals agreed to establish transitional government by 12th November,” Michael Makuei Lueth, the information minister, told reporters.

Last year’s accord, which called for a unity government, has been delayed because the government says it does not have enough money to fund disarmament and the integration of all the armed factions.

This week’s meetings between the two leaders were aimed at ironing out outstanding issues, officials said.

They discussed constitutional amendments, security laws and the number of regional states that the country should have, the government officials added.

South Sudan aims to hold elections after a transition period of three years.

Both Kiir and Machar said their talks went well, without providing details. Machar said he will visit Juba more often.

“There will be frequent meetings,” he said, standing next to Kiir.

South Sudan split away from Sudan in 2011 after decades of war but plunged into its own conflict at the end of 2013 after Kiir sacked Machar as vice president.

Troops loyal to both men clashed in the capital that December and ethnically charged fighting soon spread.

Both sides signed a peace deal in September 2018, under pressure from international and regional powers. Machar who lives in Khartoum, has since returned to Juba just once, in October that year, to celebrate the peace deal.

A key provision of the peace deal is integration of former rebels in the army, which has still not occurred.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

WHO says man with coronavirus in Egypt is recovering, no longer a carrier

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the person previously confirmed to have the COVID-19 coronavirus in Egypt is on his way...

Malema’s wife suing ANC MP Mamabolo for $69k over domestic abuse claims

Julius Malema's wife, Mantoa Matlala has joined husband in taking ANC MP Boy Mamabolo, in court over his claims of domestic abuse in the...

Lesotho ruling party gives PM resignation deadline after wife charged

Lesotho's ruling party gave its embattled prime minister an ultimatum to resign by Thursday after his wife was charged in connection with the murder...

Erdogan criticizes EU move to enforce arms embargo on Libya

Turkish President on Wednesday criticized the European Union’s decision to launch a new maritime effort focused on enforcing the U.N arms embargo around Libya,...

US warns South Africa over land seizures

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned that the South African government's plan to expropriate land without compensation will be "disastrous" for the...

Turkish drone downed in Ain Zara, south of Libya’s Tripoli

The Libyan National Army (LNA) announced Tuesday evening, the shooting down of a Turkish drone in Ain Zara, south of the capital, Tripoli following...

Uganda parliament summons first lady Janet Museveni

Uganda's parliamentary speaker has issued fresh summons for First Lady Janet Museveni, who is also the country's education minister, following a row over how...

Wife drags husband to court for insulting her parents

A woman living in Kaduna, Nigeria, on Tuesday dragged her estranged husband, Rilwanu Haruna to a Sharia Court for allegedly insulting and disrespecting her...

Tripoli government halts participation in Geneva talks after attacks on seaport

Libya’s internationally recognized government announced late Tuesday it would suspend participation in UN talks aimed at brokering a lasting ceasefire in the war-torn country...

UN calls for independent investigation into Cameroon anglophone village massacre

The UN called on Cameroon Tuesday to conduct an independent investigation into the "shocking" killing of 23 villagers in a troubled English-speaking region and...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: