25.8 C
Abuja
Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

Police arrests man alleged to have sexually abused hundreds of women

Egyptian man who allegedly sexually abused hundreds of women and girls has been arrested by the police, following national/global outrage online, a security source said.

Allegations have been widely circulating on social media since Wednesday detailing horrific sexual abuse and related blackmail suffered by women at the hands of the same man.

One allegation claimed that he attempted to abuse a 14-year-old girl.

“The person accused of harassing the girls has been arrested and will be facing the prosecution following the allegations carried on social media,” the security source said.

“Those affected should submit formal reports of the harm they endured,” the source added.

The source did not identify the suspect.

In a later statement, Egypt’s public prosecution identified the man and said the investigation was launched.

Claims of ongoing abuse for years

According to the social media reports, the first of which was published on an Instagram account, the abuse had been going on for years.

The public prosecution had said it received a complaint from one woman against the alleged abuser dating as far back as November 2016.

Trending hashtags carrying the alleged abuser’s name widely circulated on Twitter and Facebook, urging government action.

Egypt’s National Council for Women (NCW) lodged an official complaint with the public prosecutor to investigate the allegations on Saturday.

“The NCW has followed the social media account on Instagram, which was launched by girls and women complaining that a man raped some of them and sexually assaulted and harassed others,” it said on Facebook.

It also said that several victims, who reached out to the council, recounted that the man “blackmailed and threatened to defame them using photos and clips documenting his heinous crimes”.

The council urged the women to submit official complaints to the prosecutor.

Some online reports suggested the perpetrator was a university student.

The American University in Cairo acknowledged the suspect had studied there but said he left the university in 2018.

He “is not a current student at the American University in Cairo”, a statement said.

Sexual harassment is highly prevalent in Egypt.

United Nations surveys have found that most Egyptian women have been subject to harassment, ranging from catcalling to pinching and groping.

Egyptian authorities have criminalised sexual harassment since 2014, but many women complain that the problem remains rampant.

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Condemnation trail Somalia new bill seeking to allow child and forced marriage

Somalia’s parliament has sparked outrage by replacing long-awaited legislation to protect women and girls from violence with a new bill permitting child and forced...

Malians back on the street renew call for president to resign

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down...

Three persons handed 30 years jail term for throwing stone at president’s convoy

Three people have been sentenced to 30 years in prison in Burundi after being accused of throwing stones at the president’s convoy. The sentence...

Scores killed as South Sudan’s disarmament program erupts in violence

At least 81 people have been killed in the South Sudan region of Warrap State following heavy fighting between armed civilians and government forces...

Don't Miss

Condemnation trail Somalia new bill seeking to allow child and forced marriage

Somalia’s parliament has sparked outrage by replacing long-awaited legislation to protect women and girls from violence with a new bill permitting child and forced...

Malians back on the street renew call for president to resign

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down...

Three persons handed 30 years jail term for throwing stone at president’s convoy

Three people have been sentenced to 30 years in prison in Burundi after being accused of throwing stones at the president’s convoy. The sentence...

Scores killed as South Sudan’s disarmament program erupts in violence

At least 81 people have been killed in the South Sudan region of Warrap State following heavy fighting between armed civilians and government forces...

France to step up security for her citizens in the Sahel region

France will step up security measures to protect French nationals in Africa’s Sahel region, President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday, two days after six...

Angola’s Isabel dos Santos steps down from Unitel

Angolan billionaire Isabel dos Santos will leave her job in the administration of telecoms operator Unitel amid ongoing tensions between board members, Portugal’s news...

Ethiopia officials say at least 10 died in protests over autonomy

At least 10 people died in clashes between protesters and security forces in Ethiopia’s southern region on Monday, health officials said, the latest violence...

Group of Zimbabwe white farmers rejects govt’s $3.5b compensation plan as unfair

An organisation in Zimbabwe, for the White farmers disposed of their land during government's land reform process has dismissed a recent US$3.5B compensation fund...

Gunmen on motorbike kill 6 French aid workers, their driver and guide in Niger

Gunmen ridding on motorcycles intercepted and killed six French aid workers, their Nigerien guide and driver in a wildlife park in Niger on Sunday,...

Military base in Somali capital rocked by bomb blast, at least 8 dead

A huge blast rocked a military base in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu near a stadium on Saturday, killing at least eight people and injuring 14,...
%d bloggers like this: