25.8 C
Abuja
Saturday, April 4, 2020

Nigerian Shiite group says over 700 missing after army clashes

A Nigerian Shiite Muslim group on Thursday said more than 700 of its members were unaccounted for, nearly a month after clashes with the army in the northern city of Zaria.

“In our list there are about 730 people, men and women, who are still missing, since that fateful Saturday December 12, 2015,” spokesman for the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Ibrahim Musa, in an emailed statement.

“These missing people were either killed by the army or are in detention” but their “whereabouts are still unknown and undisclosed”.

Some 220 IMN members were in Kaduna city prison, while others were reportedly in military custody elsewhere in Kaduna state, the northeastern state of Bauchi and the capital, Abuja, he added.

The violence was sparked when a makeshift road block erected during a religious procession blocked the convoy of Nigeria’s chief of army staff, General Tukur Yusuf Buratai.

The army later claimed Zakzaky’s supporters tried to assassinate the general, a charge denied by the group. The cleric’s house and the IMN mosque were destroyed in resulting clashes.

There has been no official death toll but Human Rights Watch has said at least 300 people were killed. The army has denied the claim, calling it “unsubstantiated”.

The leader of the pro-Iranian IMN, Ibrahim Zakzaky, was injured in the attack, with the state of his health and whereabouts a source of tension for followers.

But Musa said a delegation from the National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs — an umbrella group of Muslim bodies in Nigeria — had visited the cleric and his wife in Abuja.

The IMN called for his unconditional release and for the government to respond to what it said were the “unjustifiable atrocities committed by the army that led to his arrest”.

Musa said no family had received a body for burial in the weeks since the unrest.

HRW’s senior Nigeria researcher Mausi Segun said the lack of response from the government was “disturbing” and had echoes of the start of Boko Haram insurgency in 2009.

“If there’s no justice or if there’s no accountability for what happened, I fear that we might be looking at a new militant group,” she told AFP.

 

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

DR Congo say prepared to take part in covid-19 vaccine testing

Amid the controversy generated by the suggestion by two french doctors for a possible covid-19 vaccine to be tested first in Africa, the Democratic...

Kidnapped Mali opposition leader ‘doing well’ as release talks under way

Mali's opposition leader Soumaila Cisse is "doing well" a week after his kidnapping, his political movement said on Friday, as negotiations were under way...

South Africans disregard lockdown as they scramble for meat from crashed truck

Residents of Swalala, outside Hazyview in Mpumalanga, South Africa have broken lockdown rules to steal meat from a truck that was involved in an...

African Heroes of the week – Drogba, Eto’o, Ba

It was Fred Rogers that said, ‘when I was very young, most of my childhood heroes wore capes, flew through the air, or picked...

Why Covid-19 supplies from Alibaba never got to Eritrea

Much publicized COVID-19 supplies donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma and his Alibaba Group never made it to Eritrea, despite Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy...

Gabon bans eating of pangolin and bats amid coronavirus pandemic

Gabon's government on Friday banned the sale and eating of bats and pangolins, which are suspected of sparking the novel coronavirus in China where...

Over 17 000 arrests made in South Africa since coronavirus lockdown

More than 17 000 people have been arrested countrywide over the last week for various crimes and contravening lockdown regulations.Of those, 2 005 were...

Lesotho PM Thabane orders probe into rivals alleged plot to oust him

Embattled Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane on Friday ordered the security forces and intelligence service to probe his party rivals, whom he accused of...

Ethiopia races to increase ventilator stockpile for coronavirus fight

In four years as a doctor in Ethiopia, Rediet Libanos has used a mechanical ventilator just once: on a patient who suffered a haemorrhagic...

Drogba and Eto’o slam French doctors ‘Covid-19 vaccine test trials on Africans’

Two African football legends have condemned comments by two French doctors who recently suggested, in a TV discussion about medical trials for a Covid-19...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: