26.7 C
Abuja
Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Nigeria says wont give up assets in $9b gas project dispute

Nigeria will not relinquish assets to a firm registered in the British Virgin Islands following a court ruling related to a $9 billion gas project dispute, the West African country’s information minister said on Tuesday.

Earlier this month a judge in London granted Process and Industrial Developments Ltd (P&ID) the right to attempt to seize some $9 billion in assets from the Nigerian government over an aborted gas project.

The $9 billion sum would be one of the largest financial penalties imposed on Nigeria, representing 20% of the currency reserves of Africa’s largest economy and top oil producer.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed – addressing journalists alongside the finance minister, attorney general and central bank governor in the capital, Abuja – said it would not relinquish any assets.

“The federal government is taking all necessary steps to appeal the decision of the UK Court, to seek a stay of execution of the decision, to defend its rights and to protect the assets of the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” he said.

The company was awarded $6.6 billion in an arbitration decision over a failed project to build a gas processing plant in the southern Nigerian city of Calabar. The award was based on what the firm could have earned during the 20-year agreement as part of a deal struck in 2010.

The judge’s decision converted the arbitration award to a legal judgment and the sum rose to around $9 billion with interest accrued since 2013.

“This award is unreasonable, an assault on every Nigerian and unfair,” the finance minister, Zainab Ahmed, told journalists.

And the attorney general said he believed the contract signed by a previous administration with P&ID, a little-known firm founded by two Irish businessmen specifically for the project, was “designed essentially to fail right from conception”.

“There is need for comprehensive criminal investigations to unravel the undertone of the contract,” he said.

He said the agreement with P&ID should have involved international oil companies and Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC), the country’s main gas producer.

Tuesday’s news conference is the latest response from Nigerian authorities following the ruling.

Last week Nigeria’s central bank said it would strive to protect the country’s currency reserves following the judgment, though it did not outline measures the bank might take.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Nigeria military invade community burns homes after sea pirates attack

Nigerian soldiers torched more than 20 homes in a community in the oil-rich Niger Delta after "suspected pirates" killed six people, security sources and...

Police in South Africa hunt for female guard who stole $267k in cash

South African Police are still on the hunt for a female security official who allegedly stole R4m(about $267,000) in cash from her employer, SBV...

Spain searching for over 100 aboard 3 missing migrant boats

Spanish authorities are searching for possibly dozens of migrants missing on three boats en route to the Canary Islands in the Atlantic Ocean, maritime...

Lesotho 1st lady set for trial in PM’s ex-wife murder March 27

The wife of Lesotho’s prime minister, who is charged with murdering her predecessor, will stand trial on March 17, a magistrate ruled on Tuesday...

Breaking news! Tripoli seaport bombed, Turkish cargo ship targeted

A Turkish cargo ship carrying ammunition and weapons coming from Turkey was targeted by the Libyan army at the Tripoli port Tuesday, according to...

Libya rival factions prepare for long conflict

Libya’s combatants are readying for a long conflict, as foreign weapons flood in, eastern factions close oil ports and rival alliances wrangle over revenues...

Over 20 Nigerians die in stampede at a refugee camp in Diffa, Niger

At least 20 Nigerian refugees, many of them women and children, have been killed in a stampede in Diffa south-eastern Niger, 10 sustained varying...

Finally FW De Klerk admits apartheid was a crime against humanity

Former South African president FW de Klerk on Monday apologized and withdrew his statement that the country’s former harsh system of racial separation known...

Equatorial Guinea tells UN, France illegally seized its ‘embassy’

Lawyers for Equatorial Guinea told United Nations judges Monday that French authorities illegally seized a mansion in Paris that the African nation insists operated...

Islamists attack church in Burkina Faso, killing pastor, 23 members

Gunmen killed 24 civilians, including a church pastor, and kidnapped three others on Sunday in Burkina Faso, an official said. It was the latest...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: