25.8 C
Abuja
Sunday, July 12, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

Mikel blasts Trabzonspor over coronavirus handling and say they don’t care

Former Nigerian international and Chelsea star, John Mikel Obi returned to his family in England after protesting at Turkish football’s continuation during the Covid-19 crisis

Mikel insists he has no plans to return to Trabzonspor after walking out on the club over their handling of the coronavirus situation.

The former Nigeria international posted on Instagram last week, making his views clear that Turkish football should not be continuing as Covid-19 spreads.

Mikel had since had his contract at the club cancelled, and returned to his family home near his former club, Chelsea.

“They [the club] were really upset about the whole thing,” Mikel told The Athletic .

“I was told to meet with the president in his office one-on-one. He asked me to take [the post] down. I told him I wasn’t going to do that.

“It’s my opinion. This is how I feel. We live in a free world. I have freedom of speech. I can express my opinion.

“I wanted to win the league too but at this point in time we have to think about what is more important: to save peoples’ lives.

“I want to help in any way that I can to defeat this virus. For us to be out there playing; I don’t think we are helping the global situation. I don’t feel it is right for us to play football.

“UEFA have postponed football. How come they are still playing in Turkey? It’s not right at all. But Trabzonspor were not having it — for me, they don’t care.”

Mikel also says his family were key in his decision to return to England. His wife and twin daughters had remained there while he played in Turkey, having joined from a spell in the Championship with Middlesbrough in the summer of 2019.

“I explained to the club that I needed to see and be with my kids,” he added.

“They were calling me every single morning, crying on the phone, wondering why their friends were not coming over for playdates, why they can’t touch anyone on the street.

“I knew if I came home, they’d be relaxed because they’d then know Daddy was home.

“I told the club, ‘OK, if that’s what you’re saying, I’m ready to give up my contract. To be with my family, to help the world to do the right thing — everybody needs to stay at home at this point in time.’

“Go back to Trabzonspor? No chance.

“Not with the way they have dealt with this situation.

“We have to look at ourselves sometimes in life and ask what is more important? Who do I want to be friends with? When I’m in trouble, who is going to look after me?

“And, the way they have dealt with this, I don’t see myself going back to Trabzonspor again.”

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

COVID-19 vaccine may start in Africa by first quarter 2021

Africa could have a COVID-19 vaccine in the first quarter of 2021 if human trials underway in South Africa succeed, a university professor heading...

Death of Ivory Coast PM: Is Ouattara set to run for third term?

Ivory Coast’s ruling party may ask President Alassane Ouattara to rethink his decision not to stand for a third term, after the sudden death...

S/Sudan diplomat sparks uproar after urinating during live panel discussion

A South Sudanese diplomat in the United States, Gordon Buay has sparked an online uproar when he was seen urinating during a live Facebook...

Ragtag Burkina Faso’s volunteer fighters no match for jihadists

Issa Tamboure, 63, a member of local defense fighters was no match for gun-wielding jihadists who attacked his village in northern Burkina Faso in...

Don't Miss

COVID-19 vaccine may start in Africa by first quarter 2021

Africa could have a COVID-19 vaccine in the first quarter of 2021 if human trials underway in South Africa succeed, a university professor heading...

Death of Ivory Coast PM: Is Ouattara set to run for third term?

Ivory Coast’s ruling party may ask President Alassane Ouattara to rethink his decision not to stand for a third term, after the sudden death...

S/Sudan diplomat sparks uproar after urinating during live panel discussion

A South Sudanese diplomat in the United States, Gordon Buay has sparked an online uproar when he was seen urinating during a live Facebook...

Ragtag Burkina Faso’s volunteer fighters no match for jihadists

Issa Tamboure, 63, a member of local defense fighters was no match for gun-wielding jihadists who attacked his village in northern Burkina Faso in...

Ivory Coast PM and ruling RHDP candidate for presidency in next election dies at 61

Amadou Gon Coulibaly, Ivory Coast’s prime minister and the ruling party’s candidate for an October presidential election, died on Wednesday, President Alassane Ouattara said.The...

Zimbabwe sack health minister over Covid-19 material fraud

Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa has sacked Health Minister Obadiah Moyo for "conduct inappropriate for a government minister".Moyo's dismissal was announced in a statement released...

180 bodies found in a mass grave in Burkina Faso

At least 180 bodies have been found in common graves in Djibo, a town in the north of Burkina Faso, Human Rights Watch (HRW),...

Africa now has over half a million confirmed Covid-19 cases

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Africa now stands at more than half-million, a significant number but still far below the numbers in...

Police arrests man alleged to have sexually abused hundreds of women

Egyptian man who allegedly sexually abused hundreds of women and girls has been arrested by the police, following national/global outrage online, a security source...

Ghana’s Mahama picks first female running mate for major party

Former Ghana President John Mahama said on Monday that he had chosen Jane Naana Opoku-Agyeman as his running mate for this year’s election, making...
%d bloggers like this: