25.8 C
Abuja
Saturday, April 4, 2020

Libya govt say Tripoli war has killed 187, with over 1,000 injured

Recent fighting in southern Tripoli in Libya has killed 187 people and wounded 1,157, a spokesman for the ministry of health said on Saturday. 

The government has also transferred a number of wounded to Tunisia, Turkey, Italy and Ukraine for medical treatment, said Tarek al-Hamshiri, the head of the government forces’ Field Medical Centre. 

The offensive launched by eastern Libya-based military commander Khalifa Haftar to take control of Tripoli is now in its fifth week. 

The U.N.-backed government of national accord (GNA) in Tripoli issued a statement earlier on Saturday recognizing 710 fighters killed in Libya’s civil war in 2014 as “martyrs”, in a move a Tripoli government source said was aimed at winning the backing of forces in nearby Zintan in the fight against Haftar. 

“The GNA took this step in a bid to get support from the mountain town of Zintan to strengthen its forces in confronting the eastern forces deployed by military commander Khalifa Haftar,” the government source said.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

DR Congo say prepared to take part in covid-19 vaccine testing

Amid the controversy generated by the suggestion by two french doctors for a possible covid-19 vaccine to be tested first in Africa, the Democratic...

Kidnapped Mali opposition leader ‘doing well’ as release talks under way

Mali's opposition leader Soumaila Cisse is "doing well" a week after his kidnapping, his political movement said on Friday, as negotiations were under way...

South Africans disregard lockdown as they scramble for meat from crashed truck

Residents of Swalala, outside Hazyview in Mpumalanga, South Africa have broken lockdown rules to steal meat from a truck that was involved in an...

African Heroes of the week – Drogba, Eto’o, Ba

It was Fred Rogers that said, ‘when I was very young, most of my childhood heroes wore capes, flew through the air, or picked...

Why Covid-19 supplies from Alibaba never got to Eritrea

Much publicized COVID-19 supplies donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma and his Alibaba Group never made it to Eritrea, despite Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy...

Gabon bans eating of pangolin and bats amid coronavirus pandemic

Gabon's government on Friday banned the sale and eating of bats and pangolins, which are suspected of sparking the novel coronavirus in China where...

Over 17 000 arrests made in South Africa since coronavirus lockdown

More than 17 000 people have been arrested countrywide over the last week for various crimes and contravening lockdown regulations.Of those, 2 005 were...

Lesotho PM Thabane orders probe into rivals alleged plot to oust him

Embattled Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane on Friday ordered the security forces and intelligence service to probe his party rivals, whom he accused of...

Ethiopia races to increase ventilator stockpile for coronavirus fight

In four years as a doctor in Ethiopia, Rediet Libanos has used a mechanical ventilator just once: on a patient who suffered a haemorrhagic...

Drogba and Eto’o slam French doctors ‘Covid-19 vaccine test trials on Africans’

Two African football legends have condemned comments by two French doctors who recently suggested, in a TV discussion about medical trials for a Covid-19...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: