Rocket fire hit the Libyan capital’s sole functioning airport on Sunday, a breach to the 48 hour cease fire agreed with the backing of UN, reports AFP news agency.
UN-backed Libya Government of National Accord (GNA) and the general, Khalifa Haftar led Libya National Army had agreed on Saturday afternoon to halt fighting during the Muslim festival Eid al-Adha.
Forces loyal to Gen Haftar have been attacking the capital, Tripoli, since April but he agreed to the truce “so that Libyan citizens can celebrate this Eid in peace”, his spokesman Ahmad al-Mesmari explained earlier in the weekend.
The truce started on Saturday at 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT) and he had promised they would last until the same time on Monday afternoon, the spokesman added.
The GNA blamed Gen Haftar’s forces for the attack against the airport, and for a separate alleged attack in the Soug al-Jomaa district of Tripoli, their spokesman Mustafa al-Mejii is quoted as saying to AFP.
“We have noted the coordinates of the rocket fire from zones controlled by Haftar’s militias south of the capital”, said Mr Mejii.
Gen Haftar does not appear to have commented.
Air traffic was suspended “until further notice” the airport’s management said.