35 C
Abuja
Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Kidnappers free mother of Super Eagle winger Samuel Kalu

Kidnappers have released the mother of Bordeaux and Nigeria winger Samuel Kalu after holding her for nearly a week, police in the country’s southeast said on Tuesday.

Ozuruonye Juliet Kalu was seized from her car on February 27 as she travelled to her home in Abia state. Reports said the kidnappers demanded some three million naira ($40,000, 35,000 euros) for her release.

But it was not known whether the money was paid, Abia state police spokesman Godfrey Ogbona told AFP.

“She was released around midnight (2300 GMT) of Monday and she has been reunited with her people,” he said.

“Circumstances surrounding her release has not been disclosed to me for now.

“But we are still investigating the incident in a bid towards ensuring that those who carried out the act are arrested and brought to book.”

Nigeria’s Sporting Life publication quoted the 21-year-old footballer as saying the kidnappers initially asked for three million naira in payment, then upped the demand to 15 million.

“We waited the whole night, we did not see her. The next morning they called again (saying) that they want more money, that the money was (being) given to another person,” he added.

“Now they are asking for the ransom of N15 million.”

Kalu made a breakthrough into Nigeria’s national side in October last year, shortly after joining French Ligue 1 side Bordeaux from Belgian outfit Gent.

Kidnapping is commonplace in southern Nigeria and the family members of prominent, wealthy individuals are regularly targeted. Most are released within days after money is paid.

Last year, the father of Nigerian World Cup skipper John Mikel Obi was kidnapped at gunpoint during the tournament. He was released after payment of a 10 million naira ransom.

Poverty is seen as a key driver of the phenomenon, with some one in four Nigerians unemployed and nearly half the country of 190 million living on less than $1.90 a day.

The crime has spread to northern states in recent years.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

WHO says man with coronavirus in Egypt is recovering, no longer a carrier

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the person previously confirmed to have the COVID-19 coronavirus in Egypt is on his way...

Malema’s wife suing ANC MP Mamabolo for $69k over domestic abuse claims

Julius Malema's wife, Mantoa Matlala has joined husband in taking ANC MP Boy Mamabolo, in court over his claims of domestic abuse in the...

Lesotho ruling party gives PM resignation deadline after wife charged

Lesotho's ruling party gave its embattled prime minister an ultimatum to resign by Thursday after his wife was charged in connection with the murder...

Erdogan criticizes EU move to enforce arms embargo on Libya

Turkish President on Wednesday criticized the European Union’s decision to launch a new maritime effort focused on enforcing the U.N arms embargo around Libya,...

US warns South Africa over land seizures

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned that the South African government's plan to expropriate land without compensation will be "disastrous" for the...

Turkish drone downed in Ain Zara, south of Libya’s Tripoli

The Libyan National Army (LNA) announced Tuesday evening, the shooting down of a Turkish drone in Ain Zara, south of the capital, Tripoli following...

Uganda parliament summons first lady Janet Museveni

Uganda's parliamentary speaker has issued fresh summons for First Lady Janet Museveni, who is also the country's education minister, following a row over how...

Wife drags husband to court for insulting her parents

A woman living in Kaduna, Nigeria, on Tuesday dragged her estranged husband, Rilwanu Haruna to a Sharia Court for allegedly insulting and disrespecting her...

Tripoli government halts participation in Geneva talks after attacks on seaport

Libya’s internationally recognized government announced late Tuesday it would suspend participation in UN talks aimed at brokering a lasting ceasefire in the war-torn country...

UN calls for independent investigation into Cameroon anglophone village massacre

The UN called on Cameroon Tuesday to conduct an independent investigation into the "shocking" killing of 23 villagers in a troubled English-speaking region and...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: