25.8 C
Abuja
Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

Kidnap victim says Kenyan convicted for the case is ‘innocent’

- Advertisement -

A British woman kidnapped by Somali pirates believes the man convicted in connection with the case is innocent.

- Advertisement -

Jude Tebbutt and her husband David were attacked while on holiday in Kenya in 2011 – he was killed and she was held hostage in Somalia for six months. 

Kenyan Ali Babitu Kololo was convicted but Mrs Tebbutt has told the BBC she now believes he was made a scapegoat.

Mrs Tebbutt said she did not believe Kololo had been given a “fair trial”.

The BBC has also learned that a former Metropolitan Police officer is under investigation for his role in the case – and that investigation is examining whether he may have committed a crime.

Within a few days of the kidnap, a team of counter-terrorism detectives from the Metropolitan Police flew to Kenya to help with the investigation. 

In 2012, local man Kololo was convicted of robbery with violence in a Kenyan court and sentenced to death – later commuted to life imprisonment. Authorities in Kenya are not looking for any other suspects.

The head of the Met’s investigation team – Det Supt Neil Hibberd – was the prosecution’s key witness.

At the trial, Mrs Tebbutt did not recognise Kololo as one of the kidnap gang.

She said: “I thought that there’d be someone coming through that door that was a representation of either the two men who dragged me out of bed that night, the two men – one of whom, or both of them, murdered David, the men that were in the boat, the men that kept me for over six months. 

“But honestly… it wasn’t one of those men.”

Kololo was accused of leading the attackers to the bungalow they were staying in but she is concerned that there has been a miscarriage of justice.

Miscarriage of justice charity Reprieve, which is assisting Mr Kololo, states that he is illiterate, and was denied access to both a lawyer and a translator for most of the trial.

“Ali Kololo’s initial death sentence, following a highly flawed trial, may not have happened without the involvement of British authorities,” said Maya Foa, director of Reprieve.

Now Mr Hibberd is himself under investigation for possible criminal conduct and Mrs Tebbutt is supporting the appeal of the only man convicted of involvement in her husband’s murder.

“I think a wrong should be righted,” said Mrs Tebbutt. “And when I say wrong I mean the fact that Mr Kololo didn’t have a fair trial.

“I do want justice. But I don’t want justice at any cost… I don’t want anyone sentenced and put into prison and spend seven years of his life when there is any shadow of a doubt over it.”

In court proceedings, Kololo’s lawyers have claimed that Mr Hibberd – who has now retired – withheld forensic evidence that undermined the case against him.

They also claim he misled the court by giving selective evidence, and that he should not have taken part in a trial where the defendant faced the death penalty, and had been tortured. 

BBC News understands that Mr Hibberd will shortly be interviewed by the National Crime Agency, in an investigation overseen by the IOPC police watchdog.

In a letter seen by BBC News, the Metropolitan Police confirmed Mr Hibberd is being investigated to see if he may have committed a criminal offence or misconduct or gross misconduct. 

Mr Hibberd’s lawyers told the BBC that he intends to co-operate with the investigation.

Mrs Tebbutt admitted some people might think it was surprising that she was standing up for the man convicted for his role in her husband’s death but she said: “It is the right thing to do.” 

Mrs Tebbutt said her husband David was an honourable man and that “the honourable thing to do now is to hopefully get a fair trial”. 

She added: “That is the least Mr Kololo deserves.

“Mr Neil Hibberd said to me that if it was the last thing that he did he would find the murderer of David and the people responsible for abducting me – and I believed him. I really believed him.

“I think they have to take ownership of what they did back in 2011 – the team that helped to convict Mr Kololo – an innocent man.”

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Libya coast guard intercepts 400 migrants off coast

Libya’s coast guard intercepted about 400 Europe-bound migrants off the country’s Mediterranean coast over the past two days, and brought them to the capital...

Burundi’s Evariste Ndayishimiye wins presidential election

Burundi’s ruling party candidate and retired general Evariste Ndayishimiye has won the presidential election with 68.72% of votes cast, the electoral commission said on...

Ivory Coast army joins Burkina Faso in anti-jihadist operation

Soldiers from Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso conducted their first joint operation against jihadists active near their shared border, killing eight suspected militants and...

Burundi to announce results of presidential election Monday

Burundi's electoral commission is to announce provisional results from last week's presidential election Monday, with the outgoing head of state's handpicked successor Evariste Ndayishimiye...

Don't Miss

Libya coast guard intercepts 400 migrants off coast

Libya’s coast guard intercepted about 400 Europe-bound migrants off the country’s Mediterranean coast over the past two days, and brought them to the capital...

Burundi’s Evariste Ndayishimiye wins presidential election

Burundi’s ruling party candidate and retired general Evariste Ndayishimiye has won the presidential election with 68.72% of votes cast, the electoral commission said on...

Ivory Coast army joins Burkina Faso in anti-jihadist operation

Soldiers from Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso conducted their first joint operation against jihadists active near their shared border, killing eight suspected militants and...

Burundi to announce results of presidential election Monday

Burundi's electoral commission is to announce provisional results from last week's presidential election Monday, with the outgoing head of state's handpicked successor Evariste Ndayishimiye...

Tanzania main opposition party in disarray, loses 6 serving MPs in one week

Tanzania main opposition party CHADEMA, has lost six serving members of parliament in a space of one week, two parliamentarians, Susan Masele and Joyce...

Report suspects China uses construction projects to spy on African leaders

A new report by a United State's firm, Heritage Foundation is warning that China may be spying on African government officials from within their...

Malawi electoral commission boss, Jane Ansah resigns

Under pressure chairperson of Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC), Jane Ansah, bows to pressure, as she resigns a month before the conduct of fresh elections.Her...

Burundi election: police arrest over 200 opposition observers

Burundian police detained more than 200 opposition electoral observers during this week’s election, the spokesman for the main opposition National Freedom Council (CNL) said...

Africa coronavirus cases surpasses 100,000

Africa’s coronavirus cases have surpassed 100,000, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday, as the continent with many fragile health systems...

Libya’s GNA says targeting retreating Haftar forces

Libya's internationally recognised government has launched air strikes against forces loyal to renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar after his forces announced they were pulling...
%d bloggers like this: