35 C
Abuja
Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Jailed Tunisian presidency front-runner starts hunger strike

Tunisian‮‮ ‬‬media mogul Nabil Karoui, a front-runner in Sunday’s presidential election, has started a hunger strike in prison demanding to be allowed to vote, his lawyer said on Thursday.

Karoui, 56, owner of the Nesma TV channel, was detained three weeks ago on suspicion of tax evasion and money laundering.

His main rival, among 26 candidates, is Prime Minister Youssef Chahed. Other candidates include Defence Minister Abd el Karim Zbidi, former president Moncef Marzouki, and Abdel Fattah Mourou, vice president of the moderate Islamist Ennahda party.

“Karoui started an open-ended hunger strike since Wednesday to demand his right to vote on Sunday,” his lawyer Ridha Belhadj told Reuters.

Authorities were not immediately available for comment.

A court of appeal is due on Friday to hear Karoui’s request to be released pending a final verdict in his case.

SourceReuters

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Clinical evidence shows antimalaria drug chloroquine can cure coronavirus

Chloroquine phosphate, an antimalarial drug that has been on the market for years, has proved to be effective against the novel coronavirus, according to...

WHO says man with coronavirus in Egypt is recovering, no longer a carrier

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the person previously confirmed to have the COVID-19 coronavirus in Egypt is on his way...

Malema’s wife suing ANC MP Mamabolo for $69k over domestic abuse claims

Julius Malema's wife, Mantoa Matlala has joined husband in taking ANC MP Boy Mamabolo, in court over his claims of domestic abuse in the...

Lesotho ruling party gives PM resignation deadline after wife charged

Lesotho's ruling party gave its embattled prime minister an ultimatum to resign by Thursday after his wife was charged in connection with the murder...

Erdogan criticizes EU move to enforce arms embargo on Libya

Turkish President on Wednesday criticized the European Union’s decision to launch a new maritime effort focused on enforcing the U.N arms embargo around Libya,...

US warns South Africa over land seizures

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned that the South African government's plan to expropriate land without compensation will be "disastrous" for the...

Turkish drone downed in Ain Zara, south of Libya’s Tripoli

The Libyan National Army (LNA) announced Tuesday evening, the shooting down of a Turkish drone in Ain Zara, south of the capital, Tripoli following...

Uganda parliament summons first lady Janet Museveni

Uganda's parliamentary speaker has issued fresh summons for First Lady Janet Museveni, who is also the country's education minister, following a row over how...

Wife drags husband to court for insulting her parents

A woman living in Kaduna, Nigeria, on Tuesday dragged her estranged husband, Rilwanu Haruna to a Sharia Court for allegedly insulting and disrespecting her...

Tripoli government halts participation in Geneva talks after attacks on seaport

Libya’s internationally recognized government announced late Tuesday it would suspend participation in UN talks aimed at brokering a lasting ceasefire in the war-torn country...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: