25.8 C
Abuja
Saturday, April 4, 2020

Islamic State in failed maritime attack on Libya Zueitina oil terminal

Libyan guards said Monday they repelled a maritime assault by the Islamic State jihadist group on Zueitina oil terminal in the north of the country.

IS tried last week to seize export terminals in the so-called “oil crescent” of northern Libya, killing 56 people in two suicide bombings in Zliten and Ras Lanouf, east of Tripoli.

“On Sunday night, the guards intercepted three boats trying to enter the oil port of Zueitina,” Ali al-Hassi, spokesman for the guards protecting oil facilities for Libya’s recognised government.

“They opened fire and hit one of the boats. The other two made off but returned a short while later to tow the vessel which had been hit,” he said.

“We can say it was IS because we’d received information that IS would try to enter Zueitina by sea,” the spokesman told AFP.

IS has been trying for several weeks to push east from its coastal stronghold of Sirte, threatening to seize control of Libya’s oil wealth.

Libya descended into chaos following the 2011 ouster and killing of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

It has had rival administrations since August 2014, when an Islamist-backed militia alliance overran Tripoli, forcing the government to take refuge in the east.

The United Nations is pressing both sides to accept a power-sharing agreement it hopes will help to reverse IS’s territorial gains.

Oil is Libya’s main natural resource, and the country sits on reserves estimated at 48 billion barrels, the largest in Africa.

It had a pre-revolt output capacity of about 1.6 million barrels per day, but unrest has forced a major slump in production, and output now stands at around 500,000 bpd.

 

AFP

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

DR Congo say prepared to take part in covid-19 vaccine testing

Amid the controversy generated by the suggestion by two french doctors for a possible covid-19 vaccine to be tested first in Africa, the Democratic...

Kidnapped Mali opposition leader ‘doing well’ as release talks under way

Mali's opposition leader Soumaila Cisse is "doing well" a week after his kidnapping, his political movement said on Friday, as negotiations were under way...

South Africans disregard lockdown as they scramble for meat from crashed truck

Residents of Swalala, outside Hazyview in Mpumalanga, South Africa have broken lockdown rules to steal meat from a truck that was involved in an...

African Heroes of the week – Drogba, Eto’o, Ba

It was Fred Rogers that said, ‘when I was very young, most of my childhood heroes wore capes, flew through the air, or picked...

Why Covid-19 supplies from Alibaba never got to Eritrea

Much publicized COVID-19 supplies donated by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma and his Alibaba Group never made it to Eritrea, despite Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy...

Gabon bans eating of pangolin and bats amid coronavirus pandemic

Gabon's government on Friday banned the sale and eating of bats and pangolins, which are suspected of sparking the novel coronavirus in China where...

Over 17 000 arrests made in South Africa since coronavirus lockdown

More than 17 000 people have been arrested countrywide over the last week for various crimes and contravening lockdown regulations.Of those, 2 005 were...

Lesotho PM Thabane orders probe into rivals alleged plot to oust him

Embattled Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane on Friday ordered the security forces and intelligence service to probe his party rivals, whom he accused of...

Ethiopia races to increase ventilator stockpile for coronavirus fight

In four years as a doctor in Ethiopia, Rediet Libanos has used a mechanical ventilator just once: on a patient who suffered a haemorrhagic...

Drogba and Eto’o slam French doctors ‘Covid-19 vaccine test trials on Africans’

Two African football legends have condemned comments by two French doctors who recently suggested, in a TV discussion about medical trials for a Covid-19...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: