24.8 C
Abuja
Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Immigrant children locked out of schools in South Africa for lack of documents

South Africa Department of Basic Education is ignoring a court order and Minister of Home Affairs instructions to enroll refugee children who do not have documents reports GroundUp.

In July last year the Acting Director General of the Department of Basic Education, SG Padayachee, sent a circular to provincial education departments, schools, school principals and school governing bodies explaining that all children must be conditionally admitted to school while parents tried to get documents.

This was confirmed in October by Minister of Home Affairs Aaron Motsoaledi in an interview with GroundUp. “Every child who needs to go to school must go,” he said.

And in a ruling in December, Judge President Selby Mbenenge in the Grahamstown High Court prevented the education department from removing or excluding from schools “children, including illegal foreign children, already admitted, purely by reason of the fact that the children have no identity document number, permit or passport, or have not produced any identification documents”.

But some schools are still turning away immigrant children without documents.

Rwandan asylum seeker Marie (name changed), is a single mother of four children who moved to the Western Cape in 2013, said that her online application for a grade one place for her youngest child had been rejected in 2019 because of a lack of documents.

She herself has an asylum permit she renews every six months. Her child was born in South Africa but she is still struggling to get the child’s birth certificate from Home Affairs.

Ingabire has been to the Western Cape Education Department where she says she was told she could not enrol her child without a study permit.

“Last year my child did not go to school. This year she is not going to school again because of documents. Every school here in Parow and surroundings wants documents for the child.”

One of the administrators at Parow West Primary, where Marie applied, said the school had not received any communication from the national education department. “So until we receive communication we cannot take undocumented children.”

The spokesperson for the Western Cape Education Department, Bronagh Hammond, told GroundUp that the department had received the department circular and was drafting its own instructions to schools.

GroundUp has also received a complaint from Chipo Chikava who has been struggling since last year to get her daughter enrolled at Umtiza High School in East London. “The principal is demanding a study permit,” she said.

Spokesperson for the Eastern Cape Education Department Loyiso Pulumani confirmed that this was “irregular”. He promised to look into the case and said similar cases should be reported to the Eastern Cape District Director at the Buffalo City Municipality.

The spokesperson for the African Diaspora Forum, Amur Sheikh, said that at a meeting with Motsoaledi on 5 December 2019, “the Minister assured us no child will be denied basic education due to lack of papers.

Last year we received similar reassurance from the Basic Education Minister. But unfortunately, the situation is still the same if not worse for many immigrant students in all provinces.”

“In many Gauteng schools we visited, the principals were complaining that the department was making sure that all learners are properly documented before they register, which contradicts the minister of Home Affairs and department assurances to us.”

SourceGroundUp

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Turkish immigration officials wrap a Cameroonian in bubble wrap to be deported

A Cameroonian businessman Emmanuel Chedjou, 47 was carried onto a Turkish Airlines plane wrapped in bubble wrap to be deported from Turkey, for allegedly...

Losses from Libya’s oil shutdown now over $2B

Financial losses over a protracted blockade of Libya’s vital oil fields and ports have rapidly swelled, surpassing $2 billion on Tuesday, the country’s National...

Former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, dies at 91

Former Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak who was ousted during the famous Arab spring, has died at the age of 91, weeks after undergoing surgery,...

Guinea-Bissau to recount votes just days before inauguration

Guinea-Bissau’s National Electoral Commission is to recount the votes from the second round of the presidential election that took place on 29 December.The commission...

Malawi parliament sets new date for fresh elections after annulment

Malawi parliament passed a law that sets 19 May 2020 as the date for fresh presidential elections, this follows the order of the court...

Erdogan says 2 Turkish troops killed in Libya

President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday two Turkish troops were killed in Libya where they back the internationally-recognized government in the north African state’s...

Tanzanian journalist freed after pleading guilty to economic crimes

Tanzanian journalist Erick Kabendera, who was held in jail for seven months in a case that prompted international concern, was freed on Tuesday after...

Libyan lawmakers allied to Haftar wont join Geneva talks

Lawmakers based in areas of eastern Libya controlled by military commander Khalifa Haftar said on Monday they would not participate for now in peace...

Court issues arrest warrant for Julius Malema for no appearance

A warrant of arrest has been issued for EFF leader Julius Malema for not appearing in court on five charges related to him allegedly...

Concern on coronavirus spreading in China and beyond

Fears grew on Monday that the coronavirus outbreak in China will grow into a pandemic with disruptive and deadly consequences for countries around the...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: