25.8 C
Abuja
Saturday, October 24, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

Guantanamo inmates transferred to Ghana want to ‘live normally’

Two Yemeni men transferred from Guantanamo Bay to Ghana are looking to rebuild their lives and are not out to avenge their detention, they said in an interview broadcast late Monday.

“We have been wrongly arrested for 14 years without any charge against us,” one of the men, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef, told public radio station Uniiq FM.

“We have suffered but we are not looking for revenge,” he added.

The Pentagon on Washington announced the transfer of Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih al-Dhuby on January 6 and maintained they did not pose a threat but would still be monitored.

Nevertheless, there has been some public opposition in Ghana to the men’s arrival on security grounds.

The United States had claimed Dhuby, who lived in Saudi Arabia, was a “probable” member of Al-Qaeda and received training in Afghanistan to target coalition forces.

Atef was allegedly a Taliban member and fought under Osama bin Laden’s 55th Arab Brigade, also against NATO forces, according to their leaked case files published in the New York Times.

The two men, however, said Ghanaians had nothing to fear.

“We are not part of any group, for example Al-Qaeda, or other things. We don’t belong to any of them,” Atef said.

“We are healed. We want to live very normal lives. Allah bless you and the people of Ghana.”

President John Dramani Mahama also said the men were considered “the lowest risk” inmates of the facility and that a comprehensive appraisal was conducted when they received Washington’s request.

He also rejected claims as “absolutely untrue” that Ghana collected $300 million (326 million euros) for accepting to take in the men.

“There is no monetary consideration and the US itself would have disclosed if there was any monetary consideration,” he told a news conference in Accra.

The two men said they were big fans of Ghana footballer Asamoah Gyan and many of the detainees at the US-run camp in Cuba supported the Black Stars at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

“When Ghana beat America, we were very happy. We made some celebrations. We also told the guards that we’ve won,” said Atef.

Ghana beat the United States 2-1, with Gyan scoring an extra-time winner, sending the Africans through to the quarter-finals.

US President Barack Obama pledged to shut the controversial Guantanamo facility when he took office in 2009 but as he nears the end of his second term of office, the camp remains open.

Atef and Dhuby were among 17 detainees deemed low-risk that Defense Secretary Ashton Carter approved for transfer last month.

 

– AFP

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Libya factions sign permanent UN-brokered cease-fire

Associated PressThe rival sides in Libya’s conflict signed a permanent cease-fire Friday, a deal the United Nations billed as historic after years of fighting...

Gunfire, barricades in Guinea as Condé heads for third term

ReutersGunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital Conakry on Friday and security forces dispersed protesters after results showed President Alpha Conde winning re-election in a...

Israel and Sudan reach deal to normalize ties

ReutersIsrael and Sudan agreed on Friday to take steps to normalize relations in a deal brokered with the help of the United States, making...

Guinea President Conde wins re-election in landslide

ReutersGuinea’s President Alpha Conde has won a landslide re-election victory, preliminary results showed on Thursday, giving him a third term in office after a...

Don't Miss

Libya factions sign permanent UN-brokered cease-fire

Associated PressThe rival sides in Libya’s conflict signed a permanent cease-fire Friday, a deal the United Nations billed as historic after years of fighting...

Gunfire, barricades in Guinea as Condé heads for third term

ReutersGunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital Conakry on Friday and security forces dispersed protesters after results showed President Alpha Conde winning re-election in a...

Israel and Sudan reach deal to normalize ties

ReutersIsrael and Sudan agreed on Friday to take steps to normalize relations in a deal brokered with the help of the United States, making...

Guinea President Conde wins re-election in landslide

ReutersGuinea’s President Alpha Conde has won a landslide re-election victory, preliminary results showed on Thursday, giving him a third term in office after a...

Mali’s army liberates village besieged by jihadists

Mali’s military has regained control of a village in the centre of the country where more than 2,000 residents have been besieged by suspected...

Anger, disbelief as Soldiers open fire on #ENDSARS protesters killing many

Shock, anger and disbelief as men believed to be Nigerian soldiers invade the #ENDSARS protest in Lekki, Lagos, killings several at close range and...

U.S. to remove Sudan from list of state sponsors of terrorism after payment to victims

President Donald Trump announced on Monday the United States would remove Sudan from its list of state sponsors of terrorism as soon as Khartoum...

Islamist rebel free 900 prisoners from east DR Congo jail

Armed men freed around 900 prisoners from a jail in Beni, east Democratic Republic of Congo, in a coordinated attack in the early hours...

Guinea opposition candidate declare self winner of presidential poll

ReutersGuinea opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo declared on Monday that he had won the first round of the hotly contested October 18 presidential election,...

#ENDSARS Update: Photos, Visual clips from Twitter warriors

As Nigerians and friends all over the world continue to lend their voices in support of Nigerian youths call for change in the way...
%d bloggers like this: