25.8 C
Abuja
Sunday, July 25, 2021

Desmond Tutu, family unharmed as fire guts home in South Africa

A fire broke out at the residence of retired Anglican archbishop Desmond Tutu in Ornus, Hermanus, Western Cape, South Africa, in the early hours of Wednesday, destroying part of the residence, before it was contained.

According to a statement released by by the Desmond and Leah Tutu Foundation, neither the couple nor their wards sustained any injury from the blaze, they were said to be in good spirit.

“Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and Mrs Leah Tutu have extended their love and gratitude to staff at their retirement village and members of the local fire department after a fire damaged the living area of their cottage in Hermanus,” the statement read.

“The couple did not sustain any injuries and were in good spirits considering events that unfolded around daybreak today,” the statement continued.

On Facebook, community members living near the retirement village had expressed concern after seeing plumes of smoke billowing from the village.

While the cause of the fire has not immediately been confirmed, it was believed to have been triggered by a faulty gas heater.

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

Error decoding the Instagram API json
%d bloggers like this: