The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in South Africa has gone up to 1, 170, this is even as the nationwide shutdown to try to stem the spread of the virus went into force.
South Africa Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula says that flights ceased to operate at midnight. There were some flights that brought in some South Africans.
The German government said that it will evacuate their citizens from South Africa on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a hotel bus conveying some German tourists to Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital to undergo testing for coronavirus broke down on the way, earlier today.
A senior Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) official told eNCA that one tourist from the group had earlier tested positive to the virus. However, this person was not on the bus at the time it had broken down.
The tourist is reportedly receiving treatment at a hospital in Lenasia, Johannesburg.
eNCA reporter Aviwe Mtila received a tip-off about the bus that broke down in Newlands in Johannesburg. According to Mtila, there were 14 tourists on the bus, as well as the hotel bus driver.
Emergency services personnel and the JMPD were reportedly at the scene.
According to the report, three other tourists are displaying symptoms of Covid-19. The occupants of the bus have reportedly been taken to hospital.
South Africa has effected a national lockdown since midnight on Thursday in an effort to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
By Thursday, 927 South Africans had tested positive for Covid-19.
On Wednesday, Police Minister Bheki Cele warned of consequences for those who attempt to leave their homes, unless for essential purposes, such as buying groceries, seeking medical attention, collecting grants, buying medication, or emergencies.
Anyone who contravenes the regulations of the lockdown faces a fine, or jail time for six months or less.