25.8 C
Abuja
Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Forgotten European atrocities in Africa: Peek into abuses and man’s inhumanity to man

This story was done exactly two years ago, it generated quite a lot of feedbacks including a charge one from Shadrack Mandela which stated thus: 'less...

Bill Gates confident coronavirus vaccine will work in Africa, but Africans on Twitter not having it

Talks to have a potential vaccine for Covid-19 tested in Africa, because the number of infected people is not as high as other countries...

Africa’s low coronavirus rate puzzles health experts

Whether it's a matter of faulty detection, climatic factors or simple fluke, the remarkably low rate of coronavirus infection in African countries, with their...

Crime against Congo: Cases against King Leopold II and Belgium

The intriguing thing about the entrance of King Leopold II into Africa is that it was not with any force or coercion; rather, his...

Open letter to Mrs Seinye Lulu-Briggs: Release High Chief Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs body for burial

Dear Ma, I hope this letter meets you in good health.It is with deep sense of respect that I have chosen to write to you...

History Special: Queen Amina, a warrior among men

In many climes in Africa, women have had to struggle to rise above the perking order of patriarchal expectations.They were highly accepted among men...

Buildings torched in Guinea ahead of referendum

Several government offices, schools and a police station were attacked to destroy voting material in Guinea ahead of a controversial constitutional referendum scheduled for Sunday.

The vote for a new constitution, was due to take place on March 1 but delayed by Guinea’s leader Alpha Conde, is seen by critics as an attempt by the president to extend his grip on power.

The government insists the vote is democratic.

Conde said Saturday he was sure the poll would take place peacefully, and added that he had followed the advice of fellow African leaders about cleaning up electoral rolls.

Voting would be “calm and serene,” Conde said on Facebook. “It will take place in full transparency with absolute respect for democratic rules and republican customs.”

Major African organisations “have made recommendations that were completely taken into account,” he added.

Sunday’s referendum was postponed last month by the president after international criticism over millions of unaccounted-for names on the electoral roll.

Officials now promise those names have been scrubbed, but doubt still lingers for the country’s embattled opposition.

Police station, schools attacked

Protesters attacked several buildings and destroyed voting material overnight Friday into Saturday, several local officials told AFP.

A police station in the central Mamou region was targetted by attackers who “tore up (voter) lists and ransacked dozens of boxes containing electoral cards,” an official told AFP Saturday.

Two public schools that were supposed to operate as polling stations were also burned, another local official said.

Several other administrative buildings in the north and southern part of the country were torched as well, sources said.

Supporters of the opposition FNDC party erected road barricades and burned tyres in the streets of Labe city in the north on Saturday, witnesses said.

Security forces were posted in front of public buildings, including the hospital and the governor’s residence.

“Things are bubbling up all over the country,” an official from the interior ministry said Saturday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The government argues the proposed constitution will, among other things, codify gender equality in the West African state, and that holding a referendum is democratic.

But critics insist Conde is looking for a third term in office by using the new constitution to bypass two presidential term limits.

Since October, Guineans have taken part in sometimes violent mass protests against the possibility of a third term.

At least 31 protesters and one security officer have been killed in the unrest to date, according to an AFP tally.

The vote is taking place against a backdrop of unease over the spread of coronavirus, with two cases confirmed in Guinea so far, one of which has now been cured, the health ministry said.

- Advertisement -

Latest Posts

Condemnation trail Somalia new bill seeking to allow child and forced marriage

Somalia’s parliament has sparked outrage by replacing long-awaited legislation to protect women and girls from violence with a new bill permitting child and forced...

Malians back on the street renew call for president to resign

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down...

Three persons handed 30 years jail term for throwing stone at president’s convoy

Three people have been sentenced to 30 years in prison in Burundi after being accused of throwing stones at the president’s convoy. The sentence...

Scores killed as South Sudan’s disarmament program erupts in violence

At least 81 people have been killed in the South Sudan region of Warrap State following heavy fighting between armed civilians and government forces...

Don't Miss

Condemnation trail Somalia new bill seeking to allow child and forced marriage

Somalia’s parliament has sparked outrage by replacing long-awaited legislation to protect women and girls from violence with a new bill permitting child and forced...

Malians back on the street renew call for president to resign

Thousands of people took to the streets of Mali’s rainy capital Bamako on Tuesday renewing calls for President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to step down...

Three persons handed 30 years jail term for throwing stone at president’s convoy

Three people have been sentenced to 30 years in prison in Burundi after being accused of throwing stones at the president’s convoy. The sentence...

Scores killed as South Sudan’s disarmament program erupts in violence

At least 81 people have been killed in the South Sudan region of Warrap State following heavy fighting between armed civilians and government forces...

France to step up security for her citizens in the Sahel region

France will step up security measures to protect French nationals in Africa’s Sahel region, President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday, two days after six...

Angola’s Isabel dos Santos steps down from Unitel

Angolan billionaire Isabel dos Santos will leave her job in the administration of telecoms operator Unitel amid ongoing tensions between board members, Portugal’s news...

Ethiopia officials say at least 10 died in protests over autonomy

At least 10 people died in clashes between protesters and security forces in Ethiopia’s southern region on Monday, health officials said, the latest violence...

Group of Zimbabwe white farmers rejects govt’s $3.5b compensation plan as unfair

An organisation in Zimbabwe, for the White farmers disposed of their land during government's land reform process has dismissed a recent US$3.5B compensation fund...

Gunmen on motorbike kill 6 French aid workers, their driver and guide in Niger

Gunmen ridding on motorcycles intercepted and killed six French aid workers, their Nigerien guide and driver in a wildlife park in Niger on Sunday,...

Military base in Somali capital rocked by bomb blast, at least 8 dead

A huge blast rocked a military base in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu near a stadium on Saturday, killing at least eight people and injuring 14,...
%d bloggers like this: