25.8 C
Abuja
Friday, April 3, 2020

Boko Haram kill seven in suicide attack, raid

Boko Haram gunmen have mounted their first attacks since Nigeria’s government declared them “technically” defeated, killing seven people in a raid and suicide bombing, residents told AFP on Wednesday.

The attacks happened on Tuesday in the northeastern state of Borno, near the Islamists’ Sambisa Forest hideout, where the army is looking to flush out remnants of the rebel group.

President Muhammadu Buhari, who has made crushing the rebellion a priority, in December said a sustained counter-offensive had reduced the group’s ability to strike effectively.

The first attack happened in Izgeki village, said one resident, who gave his name as Isyaku, from the town of Mubi in neighbouring Adamawa state.

“I received information from my relatives who fled the attack… that some Boko Haram gunmen on bicycles attacked Izgeki across the river from Izghe on Tuesday morning where they killed two people.

“The attack forced villagers to cross the river into Izghe. The gunmen pursued them. One of them who had a suicide belt on him blew himself up near the market, killing five people.”

Izghe was previously attacked in February 2014 where more than 100 people were killed as the rebels torched homes, opened fire and set off explosives.

Thousands of residents fled the attack into Adamawa towards the town of Madagali and elsewhere but following the army’s recapture of territory, some managed to return and begin reconstruction.

Izghe is in the district of Gwoza, which Boko Haram captured in August 2014 and which the group’s shadowy leader Abubakar Shekau declared the centre of its self-styled caliphate.

Ayuba Chibok, an elder in the town of the same name, said there was also an attack in the nearby village of Nchiha at about 10:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Tuesday.

“Luckily no-one was hurt but they (Boko Haram gunmen) looted food and burnt a large part of the village,” he added. Residents managed to flee.

Boko Haram kidnapped some 276 girls from their school in Chibok in April 2014 in a daring raid that captured world attention. Fifty seven escaped soon afterwards but 219 are still being held.

 

– AFP

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Tanzania grants visa extensions for stranded tourists

Tanzania’s immigration department has extended visas for foreign nationals who can't leave the country because of the coronavirus pandemic.Foreign visitors, who applied online, were...

Columbian and Bissau-Guinean drug lords handed record jail terms

A court in Guinea-Bissau has handed record jail terms to two suspects accused of trafficking almost two tonnes of cocaine into the country, the...

Sierra Leone to enter a 3-day lockdown after first 2 coronavirus cases

Sierra Leone is the latest African country to launch a nationwide attack against the deadly coronavirus after two unrelated people tested positive for the...

With 16 deaths, Burkina Faso frees prisoners to stem virus spread

Burkina Faso president Roch Marc Christian Kabore on Thursday pardoned more than 1 200 prisoners in a bid to stem the spread of the...

Over 250 Europe bound migrants rescued in Niger desert, put in quarantine

More than 250 Europe-bound migrants were rescued in Niger's arid north and placed in coronavirus quarantine after being abandoned by traffickers, the International Organisation...

Preliminary results show low turnout in Mali parliamentary election

Official collation of result from Mali's parliamentary elections this week shows a turnout of just 36 percent, according to information from Mali electoral body.Reports...

Kenyan minister condemns mockery of coronavirus survivors online

Kenya’s Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe has criticised Kenyans for their mockery of two Kenyans who recovered from coronavirus.Kenyans online have criticised the announcement of...

Clinic closed in South Africa after nurse catches coronavirus

A clinic in South Africa's largest city, Johannesburg, has been closed after a nurse tested positive for coronavirus.It is thought the health worker contracted...

Nigeria, Chad, Niger announce joint military offensive on Boko Haram jihadists

Nigeria on Thursday said it had launched a "massive" joint offensive with troops from Chad and Niger against jihadists waging a decade-long insurgency in...

Ugandan student in Italy begs for food aid

A Ugandan student in Italy has appealed for food aid from the government in Kampala to help her and other students cope amid the...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: