35.1 C
Abuja
Saturday, January 25, 2020

Belgian with ‘direct links’ to Paris attackers arrested in Morocco

Morocco said Monday it had arrested a Belgian man of Moroccan descent who it said was directly linked with some of those behind the jihadist attacks in Paris in November.

The interior ministry said in a statement that the suspect, arrested on Friday in the port city of Al-Muhammadiyah near Casablanca and Rabat, had “direct links with some” of the Paris attackers.

The statement said the man had travelled to Syria along with one of the suicide bombers who blew himself up in the northern Paris district of Saint-Denis near the Stade de France national stadium.

While in Syria the suspect, who was not named, initially joined Al-Qaeda’s Syria affiliate, Al-Nusra Front, before linking up with the Islamic State group, which claimed the Paris attacks.

During his stay in Syria he took military training and made connections with IS commanders, including “the mastermind of the terrorist attacks in the French capital,” the statement said.

The suspect had entered Morocco via The Netherlands, after travelling from Syria through Turkey, Germany and Belgium, the statement said.

Belgian prosecutors named the man as Gelel Attar, while Moroccan website le360 said he was arrested at the home of his mother, who was in Belgium.

Prosecutors in France have identified the alleged planner of the November Paris attack as Belgian national Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who was killed in a shootout with police days after the onslaught.

Moroccan intelligence helped put French investigators on the trail of Abaaoud.

One of the gunmen in the attacks was last week identified by French authorities as Belgian-Moroccan man Chakib Akrouh, with Brussels prosecutors saying he had travelled to Syria in 2013 to join IS.

The series of coordinated shootings and bombings in Paris killed 130 people, the bloodiest attacks in Europe since the Madrid train bombings in 2004.

 

– AFP

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Rwandan opposition figures jailed for 7-12 years for ‘conspiracy’

Six Rwandan opposition figures have been jailed for seven to 12 years after being convicted of forming an illegal armed group and conspiring against...

Guinea’s Conde poised for referendum date despite protests

Guinea's President Alpha Conde is set to hold a constitutional referendum next month, government sources said, despite protests led by an opposition alliance fearful...

Opposition radio station in Benin rep. sacks all staff after govt revoke license

A radio station in Benin belonging to an exiled opponent of President Patrice Talon has sacked all its staff after authorities stopped it from...

Estranged wife of Zimbabwe VP gains custody of their 3 children

Zimbabwe vice president Constantino Chiwenga's estranged wife, Marry Mubaiwa, gained custody of the couple's three children on Friday last week, as part of an...

Trump set to become 1st US president to attend anti-abortion March for Life

Donald Trump set to attend the March for Life rally Friday, thus becoming first president ever to address in-person America's biggest gathering of anti-abortion...

Isabel dos Santos plans to sue Angolan government

Africa's richest woman,  and daughter of Angola former president, Isabel dos Santos, has denied fraud and may have concluded plans to sue the Angolan...

Nigeria international Victor Moses joins Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea

Victor Moses has signed for Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea, the Serie A club announced on Thursday, reuniting the Nigeria international with former...

Libya’s neighbours decry foreign interference in crisis-hit country

Libya's neighbours on Thursday denounced foreign interference in the conflict-hit North African country, at talks in Algiers to seek a political solution to a...

Tanzania’s Magufuli fires home affairs minister over $453m dodgy contract

Tanzanian President John Magufuli fired his home affairs minister Kangi Lugola on Thursday, accusing him of mismanaging a 408 million euro ($453 million) fire...

Six Malian soldiers killed, more wounded in overnight attack

Six soldiers were killed and several were wounded in an overnight attack in central Mali, the army said Thursday, in fresh violence in the...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: