35.1 C
Abuja
Saturday, January 25, 2020

Amnesty says Boko Haram killed over 275 in Cameroon in 2019

Boko Haram militants have killed at least 275 people this year in Cameroon’s Far North region despite government claims back in January that the Islamic extremist group had waned in the area, Amnesty International said Wednesday.

More than 80 percent of those victims between January and November were civilians, the international human rights group said following a two-week mission to the volatile area.

People in Cameroon’s Far North “are living in terror,” said Samira Daoud, Amnesty International’s Acting Regional Director for West and Central Africa.

“Many of them have already witnessed Boko Haram attacks and lost family members or friends,” she said. “They no longer ask whether there will be further attacks but when they will take place – they feel completely abandoned by the authorities.”

Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency began in northeastern Nigeria and has spilled across borders into Cameroon, as well as Niger and Chad. The group has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced millions and created one of the world’s largest humanitarian crises.

In recent years some fighters have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, creating a new threat.

Amnesty said the resurgence in northern Cameroon comes after longtime President Paul Biya had called the group “a residual threat” back in January. There was no immediate comment from the government though in the past it has sharply criticized reports from international human rights groups.

In 2014, Boko Haram drew the world’s attention with the mass kidnapping of nearly 300 Nigerian schoolgirls from Chibok. While many of the schoolgirls have since been freed, countless other people abducted over the decade remain lost to their loved ones.

Amnesty International said it interviewed women in northern Cameroon who also had been abducted by Boko Haram and had later escaped. They recounted having been forced to convert to Islam under threat of death.

“They were told that their villages could live in peace if all the inhabitants did the same and that they would be able to go home to collect their children,” Amnesty said, citing two women who had managed to get away in July.

Biya, who has been in power since 1982, has had to deal not only with Islamic extremist violence in Cameroon’s north but also with attacks by separatists in the country’s English-speaking regions.

Nearly 3,000 people have died since 2017 in fighting in those regions where English-speaking separatists say they have been been marginalized by the federal government. The violence has forced more than 500,000 people from their homes.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Latest News

Rwandan opposition figures jailed for 7-12 years for ‘conspiracy’

Six Rwandan opposition figures have been jailed for seven to 12 years after being convicted of forming an illegal armed group and conspiring against...

Guinea’s Conde poised for referendum date despite protests

Guinea's President Alpha Conde is set to hold a constitutional referendum next month, government sources said, despite protests led by an opposition alliance fearful...

Opposition radio station in Benin rep. sacks all staff after govt revoke license

A radio station in Benin belonging to an exiled opponent of President Patrice Talon has sacked all its staff after authorities stopped it from...

Estranged wife of Zimbabwe VP gains custody of their 3 children

Zimbabwe vice president Constantino Chiwenga's estranged wife, Marry Mubaiwa, gained custody of the couple's three children on Friday last week, as part of an...

Trump set to become 1st US president to attend anti-abortion March for Life

Donald Trump set to attend the March for Life rally Friday, thus becoming first president ever to address in-person America's biggest gathering of anti-abortion...

Isabel dos Santos plans to sue Angolan government

Africa's richest woman,  and daughter of Angola former president, Isabel dos Santos, has denied fraud and may have concluded plans to sue the Angolan...

Nigeria international Victor Moses joins Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea

Victor Moses has signed for Inter Milan on loan from Chelsea, the Serie A club announced on Thursday, reuniting the Nigeria international with former...

Libya’s neighbours decry foreign interference in crisis-hit country

Libya's neighbours on Thursday denounced foreign interference in the conflict-hit North African country, at talks in Algiers to seek a political solution to a...

Tanzania’s Magufuli fires home affairs minister over $453m dodgy contract

Tanzanian President John Magufuli fired his home affairs minister Kangi Lugola on Thursday, accusing him of mismanaging a 408 million euro ($453 million) fire...

Six Malian soldiers killed, more wounded in overnight attack

Six soldiers were killed and several were wounded in an overnight attack in central Mali, the army said Thursday, in fresh violence in the...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: